Ph.D. in Microelectromechanical System (MEMS)
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, USA August, 2009 – present
M.S. in Electrical Engineering
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, USA September, 2008 – July, 2009
B.S. in Microelectronics
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, USA September, 2004 – July, 2008
Caltech Micromachining Laboratory, Pasadena, USA
Advisor: Yu-Chong Tai August, 2009 – present
- Retinal Prostheses Project
Develop a MEMS intraocular origami RF coil and a 3-coil based inductive resonant coupling scheme for wireless power transfer in retinal prostheses
- Zebra fish Wireless ECG Recording Project
Develop a wireless percutaneous implant for long-term zebra fish epicardial ECG recording to functionally study the heart regeneration
- Intraocular Pressure Sensor Project
Develop a fully-intraocular implantable pressure sensor combining wireless telemetric technology for the early-stage Glaucoma detection
- Impedance Sensor Project
Collaborated with Cardiovascular Laboratory, Department of biomedical engineering, USC
Develop a catheter-based impedance sensor with expandable balloon to characterize inflammatory
- Jelly Fish Pacemaker Stimulator Project
Collaborated with Biological Propulsion Laboratory, Caltech
Develop a microstimulator interfacing with jellyfish pacemakers to control the swimming and maneuvering
National Key Laboratory of Micro/Nano Fabrication Technology
Advisors: Wei Wang and Zhihong Li July, 2007 – June, 2008
- Studies on Nanoparticle-based Nanofabrication
Develop the processes to patterning monolayer nanoparticle with Microfluidic channel, use nanoparticle as depositing and etching mask to make Nanofilter
Publications (*co-first authors)
Zebra fish Wireless ECG Recording Project
- Z. Yu, et al., “A Wearable percutaneous implant for long term zebrafish epicardial ECG recording,” in Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems Conference (TRANSDUCERS), 2013 17th International, 2013, oral presentation.
- C. Hung*, Y. Fei*, Z. Yu*, et al, “An implantable MEA to elucidate heart regeneration in zebra fish,” The Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) Annual Meeting, Sep 2013.
- Y. Fei, Z. Yu, et al., "Flexible microelectrode arrays to interface epicardial electrical signals with intracardial calcium transients in zebrafish hearts," Biomedical Microdevices, vol. 14, pp. 357-366, 2012.
Wireless Power Transfer to Retinal Prostheses
- Z. Yu, et al., "High performance 3-coil wireless power transfer system for the 512-electrode epiretinal prosthesis," in Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2012 Annual International Conference of the IEEE, 2012, pp. 6583-6586
- Z. Yu, et al., "Reduction of AC resistance in MEMS intraocular foil coils using microfabricated planar Litz structure," in Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems (NEMS), 2012 7th IEEE International Conference on, 2012, pp. 234-237.
- Z. Yu, et al., "A MEMS intraocular origami coil," in Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems Conference (TRANSDUCERS), 2011 16th International, 2011, pp. 2172-2175.
- Z. Yu, et al., “An optimal power coil configuration to minimize surgical incision for intraocular retinal prostheses, ” in The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), 2013 annual meeting, 2013
- C. Han-Chieh, L. Yang, K. Dongyang, Z. Yu, et al., "Packaging study for a 512-channel intraocular epiretinal implant," in Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), 2013 IEEE 26th International Conference on, 2013, pp. 1045-1048.
- M. Monge, M. Raj, M. Honarvar-Nazari, C. Han-Chieh, Z. Yu, et al., "A fully intraocular 0.0169mm2/pixel 512-channel self-calibrating epiretinal prosthesis in 65nm CMOS," in Solid-State Circuits Conference Digest of Technical Papers (ISSCC), 2013 IEEE International, 2013, pp. 296-297.
Intraocular Pressure Sensor
- L. Jeffrey, Z. Yu, et al., "High quality factor parylene-based intraocular pressure sensor," in Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems (NEMS), 2012 7th IEEE International Conference on, 2012, pp. 137-140, Presented by Z. Yu, Best Student Paper.
- L. Jeffrey, Z. Yu, et al., "Feeling the Pressure: A Parylene-Based Intraocular Pressure Sensor," Nanotechnology Magazine, IEEE, vol. 6, pp. 8-16, 2012.
- Z. Yu, et al., "Microfluidic patterning of close-packed nanoparticle monolayer," in Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems, 2008. NEMS 2008. 3rd IEEE International Conference on, 2008, pp. 622-625.
- Z. Chen, Z. Yu, et al., "Microfluidic patterning of nanoparticle monolayers," Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, vol. 7, pp. 585-591, 2009.
- W. Wang, Z. Yu, et al., "Nanoparticle-based lift-off technique for ultra-thin nanoporous film preparation," Science in China Series F: Information Sciences, vol. 51, pp. 819-824, 2008
Manuscripts in Preparation (*co-first authors)
- C. Hung*, Y. Fei*, Z. Yu* , et al., “Flexible and implantable microelectrodes to assess electrical phenotypes of small animal heart regeneration,” submitted to Nature Communication, 2013
- Z. Yu, Y. Fei, et al., “An catheter-based concentric impedance sensor with an expandable balloon to characterize inflammatory atherosclerotic plaques, ”
- “Dr Algae”, a low-cost bio-based system for rapid testing the quality of drink water developed by my friends and I in spare time, to serve our communities with quality of drinking water in less-developed areas
- A website that provides an overview of my research empowering the retinal prosthetic devices, aimed at a general audience such as scientists in other fields, graduate and undergraduate students, and even smart high school kids.
- An NGO named Travolunteer aiming at helping the education of the migrant children in China.
- Volunteer, Chancellor Place of Pasadena Retirement Homes
- Executive committee member of Peking University Alumni Association of Southern California (PUAASC)
- Vice president of Caltech Chinese Student Association (Caltech C), 2009
Awards and Recognition
- Caltech Rising Research Symposium, 2nd place, 2011
- IEEE Presidents’ Change the World Competition; IEEE Distinguished Student Humanitarian Prize; 2010
- Caltech Atwood Fellowship, 2008
- Top Ten Excellent Graduation Thesis in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department of Peking University; Jun, 2008
- Beijing Outstanding Graduates; Jun, 2008
- The National Contest for MEMS accelerometer Application; The First Prize; Sep, 2007
- The 9th American Interdisciplinary Contest in Modeling (ICM); The Second Prize, Mar, 2007
- The 22th Undergraduate National physics Olympia Competition; The Third Prize, Dec, 2005
- First Prize of National Mathematics Olympiad and Physics Olympiad (senior high school), 2003
- Caltech Undergraduate student, Debbie Yu July, 2011- Present